CURRENT GIVEAWAY CONTESTS
Here are my current Giveaway Contests
Blood Rose Rebellion through March 25th
Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop through March 28th
Agent Kate McKean Query Critique and BRACED giveaway through April 1st
Kristy Hunter Query Critique Giveaway through April 8th
THE SOMEDAY BIRDS through April 8th
Upcoming Agent Spotlights and Query Critique Giveaways
Tracy Marchini on 4/17/2017
Loren Oberweger on 5/10/2017
Alyssa Jennette on 5/24/2017
Bibi Lewis on 6/12/2017
Kelly Van Sant on 6/21/2017
EMBLAZE BLOG TOUR: JESSICA SHIRVINGTON INTERVIEW AND EMBLAZE GIVEAWAY
Here’s a description from Goodreads:
Violet has come to terms with the fact that being part angel, part human, means her life will never be as it was.
Now Violet has something Phoenix - the exiled angel who betrayed her - will do anything for, and she has no intention of letting it fall into his hands. The only problem is that he has something she needs too.
Not afraid to raise the stakes, Phoenix seemingly holds all the power, always one step ahead. And when he puts the final pieces of the prophecy together, it doesn't take him long to realise exactly who he needs in order to open the gates of Hell.
With the help of surprising new allies, ancient prophecies are deciphered, a destination set and, after a shattering confrontation with her father, Violet leaves for the islands of Greece without knowing if she will have a home to return to..
Hi Jessica. Thanks so much for joining us.
Thanks so much for having me as a guest!
1. For those of us who haven’t read the series, tell us about it.
Embrace, book 1, is the story of Violet Eden, who discovers she is more than just human. She carries the essence of an angel within her. In a time when angels have been banished from earth but fallen angels still wreak havoc it falls to hybrid angel/humans like Violet to protect humanity. In Embrace Violet must make the decision if she is going to 'embrace' her destiny and become this warrior or if she is going to turn her back in favor of a normal human life. But even when it seems her decision is made, somehow the men in her life keep turning things upside down and in the end she has to make a choice not only for her but for someone she loves.
Entice, book 2, and Emblaze, book 3 are a continuation of Violet's story. Each book in the series is a progression in Violet's life. She is developing as a warrior but also as an adult, friend, family member and all in all becoming a pretty brave and incredible person. But, of course, she can make a fair few mistakes on the way!
2. I read that EMBRACE was the first book you wrote. And although it wasn’t published in the U.S. until 2012, it was published in Australia where you live in 2010. Since then you’ve written 2 other books in the series and all three have releases in the U.S. since September 2012. Share with us about your road to publication and then branching out into international markets.
I was really lucky when the books were picked up for publication in Australia. It was the right time for the books and my publishers really got behind the books and they were released quite quickly. Therefore, when other markets, like the U.S picked up the books it took a little more time. But it has all worked out really well since the U.S will be just about caught up to the books by October this year with the release of ENDLESS, book 4!
I've learned that each international market publishes and releases in their own time according to their markets ups and downs. It is so exciting to be in as many markets as the series is (I think it is about 9 now) and one of the highlights is seeing what each country does with its covers!
3. Wow! That’s an amazing story of a road to publication that we’d all love to have. Because of your series’ popularity and acclaim, I know it’s being adapted as a TV series with the CW Network, Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment and CBS Television Studios. How exciting! How did that come about and what stage of development is it in? What’s your role in the TV series?
4. That’s SO awesome. I hope it becomes a series soon. What’s something that you’ve learned craft-wise in writing your series that would be helpful to us aspiring authors?
Chapter breakdowns are key. They keep me grounded and make sure the story doesn't go off on tangents. Every writer is different, but I've also learned to listen to that niggling voice. Sometimes you just know it isn't working. You need to be honest with yourself and just get on with fixing the problem. Sometimes the thought of making the changes is a lot fore tiresome that just getting it done.
5. I’ve had to learn to not be stubborn and make the changes, too. I know you’re a full-time writer, a full-time mom, and a co-director of MPS Investments Pty Ltd. How do you carve out enough time to write all the books you’ve published and what advice do you have for the rest of us who may also have a family and a demanding other job who are also trying to write and dream of getting published like you?
I wrote Embrace at night once I got the kids to bed. I cut tv out of my life (and for a few months my husband would argue he got cut too!). It's hard to explain but if you really love it and want it, it isn't about finding the time, you just do because you have to.
6. Ha! My husband would say the same thing. I don’t watch much TV either. Since you live in Australia, I’m guessing that much of your promotion in the United States market and connecting with fans is through the Internet. How are you marketing/promoting your books and what do you recommend debut authors do to promote their books and develop a fan base like you have?
I'm super lucky to have amazing publishers in the U.S and my publicist is incredible. So with their help we run a lot of internet promotions and try to interact with as many readers as possible. We are active on Facebook, Twitter and readers can stop by the website anytime to see updates. On top of that I did a 10 city tour in the US last year and hope to get back there this year or early 2014.
7. I’ve been really impressed with your publisher too. What are you working on now?
I'm working on the 5th book of the Embrace Series and really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out. It's a big book to write and in many ways the most challenging of the series.
I also have a stand alone that is in edit at the moment. It is called Between The Lives and is about an eighteen year old girl, Sabine, who lives in two realities, living each day twice but no two days ever the same. Sabine has always believed there was no other option for her but after a freak accident where she breaks her arm Sabine begins to question everything. Delving into a world of dangerous experimentation Sabine becomes desperate to know if she can change her worlds and discovers just how far she is willing to go to have just one perfect life.
Thanks so much Jessica for sharing all your advice. I can’t wait until the TV series comes! You can find Jessica at:
Embrace Facebook page
Jessica’s publisher Sourcebooks generously offered a copy of EMBLAZE for a giveaway. To enter, all you need to do is be a follower (just click the follow button if you’re not a follower) and leave a comment by midnight on April 13th. I’ll announce the winner on April 15th.
If you mention this contest on Twitter, Facebook, or your blog, mention this in the comments and I'll give you an extra entry. This is for U.S. and Canada only.
Here’s what’s coming up:
On Monday I'm interviewing Kimberley Griffiths Little and giving away an ARC of her new book, WHEN THE BUTTERFLIES comes. It's a contemporary mystery with a touch of magical realism that I really enjoyed.
The following Monday I’m interviewing debut author Kit Grindstaff and giving away an ARC of THE FLAME AND THE MIST, a dynamite fantasy with a determined heroine, mystery, and secrets revealed that keeps you turning the pages.
And Wednesday that week I’m interviewing debut author Erin Bowman about her new dystopian TAKEN and giving away an ARC. It’s about a world where boys are heisted away on their 18th birthday and I could not put it down.
And don't forget our Tuesday Tips and Casey's Thursday agent spotlights.
Hope to see you on Monday!
Posted by Natalie Aguirre on Thursday, March 28, 2013